The news is out! I finally finished writing Shadow People, the second book in my paranormal YA series, The Forbidden Darkness Chronicles.
I wanted to give a quick update as to how this process is going to work, since readers are probably curious. I sent it to my beta readers, who have finished reading it (all except one, who is a bit of a slower reader, but that’s okay!). Here’s how things are going to work now.
- Mock Up Cover: This is actually my favorite part of the publishing world, I’ve noticed. I love covers. Like, completely, totally love covers. The cover will start being worked on later this month. We’ve discussed some ideas, and I really like what I’m visualizing in my head. If all goes well, this cover will be dark and pretty at the same time.
- Editing: I will edit for a little bit myself, and then will send to my editor. That will take a few weeks. While it is in editing, the cover will hopefully be done. At least the mock up, anyway. Which means I’ll be able to do a reveal somewhere around this time.
- Cover Reveal: As I said, this will probably be somewhere in editing. Might be after. Not really sure. No specific dates have been set yet, though I probably should talk to my Book Manager about all this stuff. Soon.
- Proofreading: After editing comes the lovely act of proofreading. This checks for grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. All that fun stuff. This usually goes by quickly, in my experience with my publisher.
- Layout: This unfortunately takes a pick longer than I’d like, but at least I get to pick out a nice font for chapter headings and such (it’ll probably be different from the Forbidden Darkness one, so it’ll have a different vibe). I’ll have to look at those again.
- Finishing Up/Printing: This is my second favorite part, literally right behind covers. We get the page count, make the spine so it fits, and then it gets approved (hopefully). Then I can order my copies, but I typically have to wait a bit longer than I’d like. It took what seemed like an eternity for Forbidden Darkness to get here. At least they did without disaster.
Sadly, this means it’ll take a couple of months. On the bright side? It’ll only take a couple of months! Are you excited for Shadow People? I’ll hopefully have an approved blurb soon!
Thank you to all my readers who have stuck with my through this journey as I get ready to publish this second Forbidden Darkness Chronicles book, and my third book overall. This wouldn’t be as fun without you. 🙂